Inlage 4

I started to call the new Inlage version Inlage 4, because Inlage 3.1 had way too many changes!

Inlage 4 features will be:

- inverse/forward search with SumatraPDF
- folding: “\begin{align} … \label{test}… \end{align}” folded will be displayed as “align (test)”
- word wrap
- better autocompletion
- compiler errors/warnings list
- packagemanager for usepackage
- compiling to dvi and ps
- projects
- modify command lines

Autocompletion screenshots:

Icons and descriptions

Environments

Packages

User commands

Ref completion

7 Responses to “Inlage 4”

1. Cane says:

Could you please post some pictures or videos about forward/inverse search? This feature is very important to me.

Thanks!

2. MonoMono says:

Hello Nils,

Just a quick note to say thank you for all the hard work. Really impressed with Inlage 4 so far. I have used a few latex editors recently and this far and away the best one I have come across.

Couple of early points I have come across:

1. The project functionality is not obvious. I went into try and create a new project and it isn’t obvious. Looks like you have to do it from the project window.
    2. Loving the Error/Warnings window. Really nice feature already paying benefits.

Couple of enhancements that you might consider adding to your roadmap:

1. Adding images to the project: Looks like you can do this anyway, but from the design it looks like it is not expect images to be added. I think this might be a really nice feature because keep images with your markup in a single project seems like a reasonable idea
    2. is it all possible to get your own commands added to the Intellisense. If they can be detected in other latex files
    3. Adding markup to Intellisense when you add new packages might useful too
    4. keyboard short cuts to insert lists etc might be handy too?

Great work. Thanks v much!

Thank you! The project explorer is a new feature that isnt very sophisticated… Updates for that feature are sure… The other points I have to think about what to do…

4. KS says:

I wonder if it’s just me, but when I start Inlage4 with a single small file open on my Windows7 machine, it immediately grabs ~110 Mb of memory. Why does it need to be such a memory hog? (Unfortunately, I removed Inlage3, so I can’t compare their memory usage.)

I don’t know that, but I think 100-200 Mb memory is not a big deal on a Windows7 machine. If you buy a PC with Win7 normally you get 4 gig memory so its only 2,5% – 5% … I’m sure there is some code that could be optimized, but you should recognize that Inlage 4 is doing a lot of things in background.

Is this a problem on your machine or just a question?

6. KS says:

It’s not a problem on my machine, really, since I have 3 GB of memory, but I am still surprised to see it. By comparison, the memory footprint of WinEdt (the other LaTeX editor I use regularly) seems to be under 15MB with several files open at the same time.

Inlage may seem to be a tiny editor because it has not so many options and settings like other editors, but the environment is much more complex.

The intelligent autocompletion, so many icons, the code folding feature, 12 dockable MDI windows, … all that costs cpu and memory…